Buy International Travel Insurance Online
Get Travel Insurance for your next trip starting from ₹200
Terms and conditions
How to get International Driving License in India?
Depending on where you’re traveling to, you may want to take the road less traveled and experience the country’s local flavors and sights by opting for a road trip versus the conventional tour buses and public transportation.
A road trip across a new country or city not only helps you experience the place better on your own terms but also gives you a chance to really get to know the place and its people on a profound level.
Now, whether you’re great behind the steering wheel or just an average driver, one of the most important documents you’ll require to embark on your road trip is an International Driving License. Just like you need a valid Indian Driver’s License in India, you would need an International Driving License to be able to legally drive in a foreign country.
What is an International Driving License?
The official legal document issued by the road transport authority to drive a car or two-wheeler outside of India is referred to as an International Driving License. If you already have a valid driver’s license, obtaining an IDL should not take you more than 4 to 5 business days.
The International Driving License is nothing but an official translation of your current driving license. It states that you do hold a valid driver’s license and translates your documents into languages that can be understood by authorities abroad.
Why is it important to have an International Driving License?
To put it across simply - it's important so that you can drive on foreign roads legally and not get into trouble with foreign authorities! After all, even though traveling does give you a better perspective on life, the last thing you’d want is the perspective of legal authorities and liability bonds abroad!
Driving, renting a car in a new city is not only a means to commute, but a means to explore a new place with a new experience that lets you connect with locals and allows you to wander around non-touristy paths. Getting an IDL gives you the freedom to do so at peace.
Benefits of owning an International Driving License
- Rent a car and drive on foreign roads
- Use it as an identity proof while traveling abroad
- Experience driving in one or more countries across the world
- You won’t be asked to give any separate driving tests abroad
- In case of an accident, you will need your IDL to be able to benefit from your insurer
How to Apply for an International Driving License in India?
The procedure is simple and should not take you more than 4-5 business days. Following are the steps for it:
- Pick up the required form, 'Form for the Issue of International Driving Permit', or Form 4 from your nearest RTO or you can even download it online on the International Control Traffic Association.
- Provide necessary details like address, driver's license number and details of the country you are traveling.
- Deposit all the necessary documents along with the form.
- Take the driving test.
- Pay the fee for IDL.
- Wait for processing and you will receive your IDL.
Here are some of the basic conditions that need to be met to get an IDL:
- The candidate should be above 18 years of age.
- The candidate should have a valid driving license.
- The candidate should be an Indian Citizen.
Documents required for the International Driving License
- Copy of passport and respective visa
- Copy of flight tickets
- Duly signed medical certificate issued by a doctor. Form CMV 1 & 1A stating medical conditions. The certificate helps to know your health status.
- Duly signed and sealed form CMV-4, also known as application form. It can be procured from the local RTO.
- Age proof, address proof and passport size photograph/s.
- Certified proof of Indian Citizenship.
Can I apply online?
Yes, you can apply online. To get the IDL (International Driving License) the procedure can be worked out both offline and online.
Offline: For offline mode of IDL application, you can fill and submit your form to your RTO along with all the relevant documents.
Online: Visit the website of the International Control Traffic Association, download the forms needed. When you are through with the forms and other formalities, submit it along with the required fees. Other than the application form, you will have to upload the required documents too.
The fees chargeable for the International Driving License have been renewed from ₹500 to ₹1,000.
The renewal procedure for International Driving License in India
Generally, an International Driving License is valid for only one year. In case you’re traveling again and need to renew your IDL, here’s what you need to do:
- Apply online through the International Control Traffic Association.
- Attach scanned copies your passport size photograph. Make sure it is recent (not older than 3 months).
- Attach the signed photocopy of your driver’s license, both front and back.
- Attach all documents submitted earlier.
- Take the driving test. If the driver’s license is issued within 3 months of application to IDP/IDL then you need to retake the test.
- Pay the required fee.
Remember the time when your certificates got you an interview and there was no pre-test for it? How great it made you feel! The same is the case with International Driving License for which there is no need to qualify a driving test in the country where you will drive. Not only four-wheelers, with your IDL you can also drive two-wheelers outside India on international roads.
Get International Travel Insurance
IDL alone will not suffice for your safety. Buy Travel Insurance for complete protection:
Whatever your purpose be for the travel, either work or vacation, do not miss buying a Travel Insurance Cover. It will help you with:
- Cancelled Trip: Don’t panic and leave your worries to the insurance company, in case you have to cancel your travel plan. If you have travel insurance, you can easily get the tickets and everything else cancelled and reimbursed. It will cover the expenses of trip cancellation in case of sickness, injury, terrorist incident, and other scenarios.
- Medical Emergencies: You might feel distressed due to a medical emergency abroad. And if that happens because of driving, things can be even worse! But if you have a travel insurance, all your apprehensions should stay at bay.
- Emergency Evacuations: Medical emergencies can happen with anyone anytime. Why miss out on the extra care when you are out for a holiday or for work? Buying a travel cover will help you for emergency evacuations like airlifts or medically equipped flights back home.
- Loss of baggage, delay of baggage and delay of flights: One should be prepared for such things when travelling abroad. Human error is common but it can leave you stranded without much in hand. With a Travel Insurance Cover, you can stay assured of getting compensation for loss or delay of bags.
- Phone Assistance: When anxious or in pain abroad, you would always want to connect with the person who assures you of safety. With Travel Cover, you can easily connect with anyone worldwide and that too at any part of the day.
- Personal Liability Bond: Under this benefit of travel insurance, you’ll be covered for any emergencies that may arise while you’re driving a car. This includes damage to your rented car or injuries to yourself as well. Therefore, if you have a good international travel insurance policy that covers you, you need not purchase additional car insurance during your trip abroad.
Please try one more time!
More Insurance Guides
Get our app
- Third Party Car Insurance
- Comprehensive Car Insurance
- Zero Depreciation Car Insurance
- NCB in Car Insurance
- IDV Calculator for Car
- Bumper to Bumper Car Insurance
- Car Insurance Calculator
- Own Damage Car Insurance
- Comprehensive vs Third Party Insurance
- Compare Car Insurance
- Find Vehicle Registration Details Online
- Third Party Bike Insurance
- Comprehensive Bike Insurance
- Zero Depreciation Bike Insurance
- NCB in Two Wheeler Insurance
- IDV Value Calculator for Bike
- Add-on Cover in Bike Insurance
- Bike Insurance Calculator
- Own Damage Bike Insurance
- Comprehensive vs Third Party Bike Insurance
- Compare Bike Insurance
- Royal Enfield Insurance
- TVS Insurance
- Hero Bike Insurance
- Types of Insurance
- Types of General Insurance
- Types of Motor Insurance
- International Driving License
- Visa on Arrival for Indians
- Visa Free Countries for Indians
- Comprehensive vs Zero Depreciation
- Coronavirus Health Insurance
- Coronavirus Symptoms Checker
- Indian Passport Rank
- Digit Illness Group Insurance
- Hero Splendor Insurance
- Access Insurance
- Scooty Insurance
CIN: U66010PN2016PLC167410, IRDAI Reg. No. 158.
Go Digit General Insurance Limited (formerly known as Oben General Insurance Ltd.) - Registered Office Address - 1 to 6 floors, Ananta One (AR One), Pride Hotel Lane, Narveer Tanaji Wadi, City Survey No.1579, Shivaji Nagar, Pune-411005, Maharashtra | Corporate Office Address - Atlantis, 95, 4th B Cross Road, Koramangala Industrial Layout, 5th Block, Bengaluru-560095, Karnataka